Fort Lewis, Locomotive Shelter, South side of South Drive, DuPont, Pierce County, WA
Significance: According to inventory records maintained by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (USACERL), Building 1-B-99 is one of two remaining structures that served as train locomotive maintenance sheds dating from the Second World War mobilization efforts (the other building is located at Fort Drum, New York, and has been documented as HABS Number NY-6337-D). The construction techniques utilized in this building exemplify those used in most of the facilities that were built based on the Theater of Operations standard construction designs developed in 1942 by the War Department for the mobilization effort during World War II.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N57
Survey number: HABS WA-199-A
Building/structure dates: 1944 Initial Construction