Fort Logan, Blockhouse, White Sulphur Springs, Meagher County, MT
Significance: Built in 1869-1870 as part of a military post established to protect the gold mining camps in the vicinity and the Fort Benton trade route. Fort Benton was the head of navigation on the Missouri River and supplies were shipped from there to Fort Ellis, Fort Shaw and other forts as well as to the many mining camps throughout the territory. The fort was originally named Camp Baker. The name was changed in 1877 in memory of a Captain Logan, who had served here and was killed at the Big Hole Battle engagement with Chief Joseph. The fort was active until 1880 with troops being sent from here as reinforcements elsewhere in the territory. The unusually designed log blockhouse with its square second floor set at 45 degree angle to the likewise square plan of the first floor, presents an eight-sided defensive structure. The building has been moved from its original location to about the center of the parade grounds, set on a concrete platform and restored in 1962.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-18
Survey number: HABS MT-19
Building/structure dates: 1869- 1870 Initial Construction