Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Fort MacArthur, Pacific Avenue, San Pedro, Los Angeles County, CA

Fort MacArthur, Pacific Avenue, San Pedro, Los Angeles County, CA

description

Summary

Significance: In 1846 the Mexican governor of Alta California, Pio Pico, directed that a 500 varas square of land facing onto San Pedro Bay be set aside as a government reservation (approximately 44.25 acres). The same boundaries of the original Mexican government reservation were recognized and affirmed by the United States Federal government after the American acquisition of California. In 1888 President Grover Cleveland established the 500 Varas Square as a military reservation. With the advent of America's entrance into the First World War, permanent buildings (housing) were added. Twenty-seven of these permanent buildings dating from two construction periods, the first dating from 1916-18 and the second from 1933-34, remain basically intact. These buildings are architecturally significant as a representation of an institutional application of the then-popular Mission Revival and California Bungalow or Arts and Crafts Styles. The building form two ensembles; one grouped around the Patton Quadrangle and the second gathered around the Parade Ground. Their stature as ensembles is intensified due to their group orientation around these two large open spaces. These buildings are: Bldg. 30-Administration Building, 1916-18; Bldg. 31-Mess Hall; Post Chapel, 1916-18; Bldg. 32-Post Exchange and Gymnasium, 1916-18; Bldg. 41-Guard House and Fire Station, 1916-18; Bldgs. 33, 36, 37, & 40-Company Barracks Buildings, 1916-18; Bldg. 11-Three-family Officers' Quarters, 1916-18; Bldgs. 3, 7, 9, & 10-Double Officers' Quarters, 1916-18; Bldgs. 1 & 5-Single Officers' Quarters, 1916-18; Bldgs. 51, 53, 55, 102, 103, 104, & 105-Double N.C.O. Quarters, 1933-34; Bldg. 50-Three-set N.C.O. Quarters, 1914; 1916-18; Bldgs. 52 & 54-Two-set N.C.O. Quarters, 1916-18; Bldg. 60-Bakery Building, 1916-18; Bldg. 93-Bachelor Officers' Quarters, 1916-18.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-232
Survey number: HABS CA-2206
Building/structure dates: ca. 1918 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1934 Subsequent Work

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Office of the Quartermaster General, U.S. Army
Construction Division, Office of Quartermaster General
place

Location

San Pedro Hill33.73606, -118.29225
Google Map of 33.7360619, -118.2922461
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive, PICRYL.com, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress, https://www.picryl.com

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020