Fort McCoy, Building No. T-1096, South side of South Ninth Avenue, Block 10, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
Significance: According to the Camp McCoy's Annual Report to the Surgeon General for 1943, a severe shortage of patient beds was experienced; during the first half of the year, overflow patients were placed in converted barracks located in the "old" Camp McCoy area. By July, the conversion of Buildings T-1094 through T-1097 into patient wards was completed; each modified barracks held thirty-seven patients. Also during this year, the number of enlisted assigned to the medical detachment shrank from 502 on January 1 to 310 as of December 31; therefore, all enlisted men could be accommodated in the original ten hospital barracks at the year's beginning as well as in the six that remained in the original use by the year's end.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-DI
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction