Fort McCoy, Building No. T-1247, 200' North of South Eleventh Avenue, just East of Intersection with South "Q" Street, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
- Upscale 2x7680x6164
Significance: Building T-1247 is significant as a relatively unmodified representative of a Type BGQ-1, Brigadier General's Quarters. This is one of two examples of a Type BGQ-1 built at Fort McCoy in 1942. The construction of Building T-1247 was part of a massive, nation-wide mobilization program designed to build cantonments in which to house and train the expanded World War II Army. The 800 Series, and the 700 Series that preceded it, was a comprehensive set of drawings which could be used interchangeably in creating the various building types. War mobilization buildings are significant for their construction and technological innovation. Techniques such as the standardization of plans, prefabrication of units, and assembly-line approach to construction were largely pioneered in the construction of these mobilization structures.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-EY
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction