Fort McCoy, Building No. T-1467, 1300' East of Intersection of South Ninth Avenue with South "J" Street, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
Significance: Building T-1467 is significant as an intact example of an 800 Series Gas Station and Pump House, known at Fort McCoy as a GSPH. With the substitution of cement asbestos siding for the drop wood siding shown on the original plans, it also reflects the sever shortage of building materials encountered in 1942. It is one of six such buildings along Ninth Avenue. The construction of Building T-1467 was part of a massive, nation-wide mobilization program designed to build cantonments in which to house and train the expanded World War II Army. The 800 Series, and the 700 Series that preceded it, was a comprehensive set of drawings which could be used interchangeably in creating the various building types. War mobilization buildings are significant for their construction and technological innovation Techniques such as the standardization of plans, prefabrication of units, and assembly-line approach to construction were largely pioneered in the construction of these mobilization structures.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-FB
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction