Fort McCoy, Building No. T-2305, Approximately 700' West of Building T-2136, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
- Upscale 2x7680x6192
Significance: This structure is the only Prisoners and Guards Mess that was built at Fort McCoy (then known as Camp McCoy) as a result of the mobilization effort that was undertaken by the United States during World War II. The Stockade Area was a secured zone for soldiers who were being detained as the result of violation of military law. Building T-2305 functioned as the dining facility for both incarcerated prisoners and guards stationed at this area. The construction of Building T-2305 was part of a massive, nation-wide mobilization program designed to build cantonments in which to house and train the expanded World War II Army. The 800 Series, and the 700 Series that preceded it, was a comprehensive set of drawings which could be used interchangeably in creating the various building types. War mobilization buildings are significant for their construction and technological innovation. Techniques such as the standardization of plans, prefabrication of units, and assembly-line approach to construction were largely pioneered in the construction of these mobilization structures.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-FP
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction