Fort McCoy, Building No. T-2307, Approximately 300' West of Building T-2139, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
Significance: This structure is one of four Type PBP-81 buildings constructed at Fort McCoy (then known as Camp McCoy) as a result of the mobilization effort that was undertaken by the United States during World War II. The building functioned as a barracks for soldiers who were being detained in the Stockade Area as the consequence of violations of military law. On the construction drawings, this building is labeled as a Prisoner-Barracks-Prisoners, but this report will refer to Building T-2307 as a Prisoners' Barracks after this point. The construction of Building T-2307 was part of a massive, nation-wide mobilization program designed to build cantonments in which to house and train the expanded World War II Army. The 800 Series, and the 700 Series that preceded it, was a comprehensive set of drawings which could be used interchangeably in creating the various building types. War mobilization buildings are significant for their construction and technological innovation. Techniques such as the standardization of plans, prefabrication of units, and assembly-line approach to construction were largely pioneered in the construction of these mobilization structures.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-FQ
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction