Fort McCoy, Building No. T-2756, Northwest Corner of Intersection of West Motorway & West "H" Streets, Sparta, Monroe County, WI
Significance: This building is a relatively good example of a Motor Repair Shop, 2nd Echelon, Type SP-1. This building is located in Block 27 of the main cantonment and was one of four buildings of this type to be constructed at Camp McCoy in the 1940s. Building T-2756 may have been utilized and controlled by the Ordnance Department, which, after June of 1942, was responsible for motor transportation activities. The construction of Building T-2756 was part of a massive, nation-wide mobilization program designed to build cantonments in which to house and train the expanded World War II Army. The 800 Series, and the 700 Series that preceded it, was a comprehensive set of drawings which could be used interchangeably in creating the various building types. War mobilization buildings are significant for their construction and technological innovation. Techniques such as the standardization of plans, prefabrication of units, and assembly-line approach to construction were largely pioneered in the construction of these mobilization structures.
Survey number: HABS WI-308-FX
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction