Fort Monroe, Hampton, Hampton, VA
Significance: Fort Monroe occupies a sandy projection of land in Hampton, Virginia, at the end of the peninsula between the York and James Rivers. Between this pit and the peninsula is a small inlet, Mill Creek. This site is connected to that peninsula by sand bars frequently flooded by the Chesapeake Bay which is to the east of fort Monroe. The large harbor of Hampton Roads is to the south. Although Fort Monroe was begun in 1818, the history of the site and earlier impermanent defensive works stretch back over 200 years. The history of this sandy site is at least as remarkable and complex as any region of the United States. It has played a significant part in the cultural and military history of not only Virginia and the Thirteen Colonies, but also of the United States.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N68
Survey number: HABS VA-595
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000912