Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
Fort Pulaski, Cockspur Island, Savannah, Chatham County, GA

Fort Pulaski, Cockspur Island, Savannah, Chatham County, GA

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x459
  • save_altMedium1024x734
  • save_altLarge1600x1146
  • save_altOriginal3840x2751
description

Summary

Significance: Fort Pulaski was built in the second quarter of the nineteenth century by U.S. military engineers who hoped to guard against unwanted river approaches to the nearby port city of Savannah. It was part of a chain of brick fortifications constructed up and down the east coast and represented the premier defense system of its time. Creating Fort Pulaski took one million dollars, 25 million bricks, and eighteen years of labor. When it was completed (1847), Fort Pulaski was considered invincible. The fort remained untested until the Civil War. In January 1861, the Confederate States of America seized the fort for its use and protection. Union forces targeted the fort in April 1862; yet the Confederates were unafraid of the coming bombardment. They placed their faith in the fort's solidarity. Moreover, the Union army, camped on Tybee Island, was over a mile away. However, the distance between the batteries and the fort was covered easily by the rifled cannon, that unbeknownst to the Confederacy, were capable of shattering the fort's 7 1/2 feet thick brick walls. By noon the following day, the walls of the fort were breached and the main powder magazine threatened. The Confederate surrender only thirty hours into the battle marked the end of the era of masonry fortifications. The for was abandoned after 1880. It became a national monument in 1924; restoration efforts began in 1933.
Survey number: HABS GA-2158
Building/structure dates: 1829-1847 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1862 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1933 Subsequent Work

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Pulaski, Casimir
Bernard, Simon
Gilmore, Quincy A
Olmstead, Charles H
Forty-eighth (48th) New York Infantry
Lent, L H
Hilliard, S V, R
Farrell, J
Elmendorf, A
Irwin
Sherman
Fry, T
Forty-eighth (48th) New York Infantry Band
Morton, G
Taylor, J
Coan, W B
Hale, C
Newhart, C
Mulford, J L
Eaton, S C
Smith
Barton, W B
Barton, W B
Hurst
Nichols
Price, Virginia, transmitter
Valdma, Antonio, field team
DeHaven, Jeffrey, field team
Frame, Marc, field team
De Castillo, Jose, field team
Deike, Cody, field team
Dinger, Jeff, field team
Kim, Soyeon, field team
Chambers, Bryon, field team
Lyssy, Mike, field team
Prartnadi, Harutai, field team
Woodcock, David G, faculty sponsor
Warden, Robert, field team
Anderson, Richard, field team
Brinkman, Bob, field team
Elpert, Lauren, field team
Her, Jihyun, field team
Tormey, Megan, field team
Whitaker, John, field team
Winger, Tim, field team
Stahman, Andrea, field team
Orsak, Tressa, field team
Mukherji, Anuradha, field team
Massey, Laura, field team
Texas A&M University, sponsor
Graham, Kyle F, historian
Bitner, Brian J, delineator
Gregoire, Shawn, delineator
Boucher, Jack E, photographer
place

Location

Savannah, Georgia, United States32.08354, -81.09983
Google Map of 32.0835407, -81.09983419999999
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorew b coan

Explorebryon chambers

Explorew b barton