Fort Riley, Building No. 25, 25 Sheridan Avenue, Riley, Riley County, KS
- Upscale 2x7680x6098
Significance: Building #25 at Fort Riley is representative of the type of double quarters built for married officers at Fort Riley during the 1880's. It is one of three identical residences built along Sheridan Avenue in 1887. It is also similar to Buildings #7, #8, #11 and #12 Forsyth, built the same year. They are a variation of the same plan, differing somewhat in the floor plan and the architectural detailing. Buildings #25, #20 and #22 (and #23, also on Sheridan Avenue built one year before in a similar style) are distinguished by the segmental brick arches. These were the only limestone quarters built with this detailing feature. The construction of Building #25 and others built that year, marks the beginning of a boom period in construction at Fort Riley, resulting from the establishment of the Cavalry and Light Artillery School the previous year. Extensive improvements were at that time planned for Fort Riley, for it was to become the depot through which all recruits into this branch of service would pass (Pride, p. 193). Construction had been virtually halted with the coming of the Civil War, not to resume until the 1880's and the establishment of the school. Building #25 was constructed specifically as "Company Officer's Quarters" (Plan of Fort Riley, 1890). Over the years it has housed mostly Cavalry Division Officers - majors, lieutenants colonels and captains. In 1922-23, Capt. W.F. Pride, author of The History of Fort Riley, lived in Building #25-A. In addition, buildings such as #25, constructed during the 1880's period, represent a change in the original plan of the fort. At this time the post was enlarged and separate areas developed for the Cavalry and Artillery. The original rectangle of the frontier era then became the Cavalry Parade, some old buildings were removed and others, like Building #25, were added. The plan of the present post was prepared by Colonel George E. Pond, Assistant Quartermaster General and approved by the Quartermaster General from Washington.
Survey number: HABS KS-54-C
Building/structure dates: 1887 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1938 Subsequent Work