Gannts' Quarry, Quarry Road, Sylacauga, Talladega County, AL
Significance: This quarry was worked before the Civil War, and produced a high quality marble. A stone from Gannt's Quarry was presented by the Masons of Alabama to the Washington Monument Society in 1851 and was incorporated into the monument. Structural and dimensional stone, calcium, and materials for roofing and terrazzo floors are now produced at the Quarry (1966). As with most active quarries, facilities at the site have been consistently modernized throughout the twentieth century.
Survey number: HAER AL-6
Building/structure dates: ca. 1890 Initial Construction