General James W. Barnes Plantation House, Farm Road 1774 Vicinity, Anderson, Grimes County, TX
- Upscale 2x2048x1666
Significance: Earlier known as Prairie Woods, it is one of the earliest and best of the plantation houses in the area. The east, two-story log portion was built in 1842; this was refinished and the major portion of the house was completed in 1858. Originally the headquarters of the 900 acre plantation, the house, in its neglected state, still reflects the dignity of the period in which it was built.
Survey number: HABS TX-287
Building/structure dates: 1842 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 Subsequent Work