George Washington's 1776 Sleeping Marquee, Valley Forge, Chester County, PA
2004 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: This sleeping tent, or marquee, was used by George Washington and his staff as his headquarters during the American Revolution, at which time Washington served as the Commander-in-Chief of the American Continental Army. In 1776, he acquired the sleeping tent and dining tent equipage which is now on exhibit at Valley Forge National Historical Park, Colonial National Historical Park, and the Smithsonian Institution. During the Valley Forge encampment, tents were his primary residence for about one week before moving his headquarters to the Isaac Potts House...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1002
Survey number: HABS PA-6713