Georgetown University's flagship building, Healy Hall, Washington, D.C.
Digital image produced by Carol M. Highsmith to represent her original film transparency; some details may differ between the film and the digital images.
Named for its president, Patrick Francis Healy, at the time the building opened in 1879. It was once a student tradition to steal the clock tower's hands and mail them to the Vatican in Rome, which would stamp them "return to sender" and return them to the university.
Title, date, subject note, and keywords provided by the photographer.
Credit line: Photographs in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
Gift and purchase; Carol M. Highsmith; 2011; (DLC/PP-2011:124).
Forms part of the Selects Series in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.