Georgia Power Atlanta Division Building, 143 Alabama Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Significance: This Art Moderne six story Flemish bond brick, marble, and limestone building features a flat roof, rounded corners, and horizontal bands of windows. The building was known as the Atlanta Constitution Building until the Atlanta Journal and the Atlanta Constitution consolidated and outgrew this facility in 1955. The building was occupied by the Georgia Power Company until 1972 and has been unoccupied ever since. The building is considered eligible for architecture under National Register Criterion C as one of the earliest, if not the earliest, "Modern" style building in the City of Atlanta. The property also possesses a local level of significance in the area of industry under Criterion A for its association with the Georgia Power Company.
Survey number: HABS GA-2374
Building/structure dates: 1947 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1953 Subsequent Work