Governors Island, Commanding Officer's House, New York Harbor, Nolan Park near Barry Road, New York, New York County, NY
- Upscale 2x6132x7680
Significance: Throughout its history, the Commanding Officer's House which was designed by Martin E. Thompson one of New York's leading architects. has been a key structure on the Governors Island military post. From its construction in 1843 to the present, the building has served as quarters for the Island's ranking officer. From 1843 to 1878, this was the post Commander. Between 1878 and 1966, Commanders of major Army commands, including that of the First Army, occupied the house. Men prominent in United States military history number among the building's occupants. Since 1966, the building has been quarters for the Third Coast Guard District Commander. The building also contributes to the 19th and early 20th century character of the Nolan Park residential area, a grouping of single and double officers' quarters clustered around a landscaped park.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-365, FN-366
Survey number: HABS NY-5715-3
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 85002435