Governors Island, Infantry Regimental Barracks, New York Harbor, Clayton Road between Wheeler & King, New York, New York County, NY
Significance: This building was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White in 1928. It was part of a unified island beautification plan which included about a dozen new structures following the Georgian Revival style. This structure was the first one built; others were built as funds became available. At the time of its completion, it was the largest building on the island and the first permanent structure built on the landfill portion of the island. This structure was also considered a model barracks complex at the time of its completion because it could house 1,375 men under one roof.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-365
Survey number: HABS NY-5715-8
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 85002435