Grace Cathedral, George William Gibbs Memorial Hall, 1051 Taylor Street, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
Significance: Constructed in 1911, George William Gibbs Memorial Hall (hereinafter referred to by its common name, Cathedral House) is significant as the first permanent structure built in the Grace Cathedral close. Originally built for the Church Divinity School. the building was to be one part of a quadrangle of buildings adjacent to the cathedral. Cathedral House is, thus, also significant as a surviving remnant of the original 1907 close plan, designed by the famous English architect George Bodley, that included the quadrangle. Designed by the prominent San Francisco architect Lewis Hobart (after he had been appointed as the chief designer for the cathedral), Cathedral House is also a rare, surviving example in the San Francisco Bay Area of the "academic" gothic style popular in the early 20th century.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N585
Survey number: HABS CA-2352-A
Building/structure dates: 1911 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1993 Demolished