Great Falls/S. U. M. Power Canal System, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
Significance: Begun by the Society for the Establishment of Useful Manufacturers under the supervision of Pierre L'Enfant, the Canal System was first completed in 1794. Later alterations and improvements were carried out in various phases between about 1800 and 1846. The canal system harnessed the power of one of the largest falls on the east coast, that of the Passaic River, and eventually provided power to over one hundred buildings. Several eminent Americans, including Alexander Hamilton and Pierre L'Enfant, were involved in the SUM, and it reflects their interest in furthering America's economic independence, and in fostering technology and industry.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-1
Survey number: HAER NJ-2
Building/structure dates: 1794 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1846 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 70000391