Gregg Shoals Dam & Power Plant, Across Savannah River, Lowndesville, Abbeville County, SC
Significance: The Gregg Shoals Dam and Power Plant began operations in May 1907 and produced electricity until September 1954. It was among the early low-head hydroelectric plants in America and is associated historically with the major power companies in the southeastern U.S. Developed by the Savannah River Power Company, it was acquired by Georgia Power Company in 1912 and until 1954 was leased to the Southern Public Utilities Company, a subsidiary of Duke Power Company.
Survey number: HAER SC-7
Building/structure dates: 1907 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1954 Subsequent Work