Hegeler Carus Mansion, 1307 Seventh Street, La Salle, La Salle County, IL
Significance: The Hegeler Carus Mansion, constructed in 1874-76, is a seven level Second Empire Style residence in La Salle, Illinois, approximately six blocks north of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, a National Heritage Corridor and National Historic Landmark district. Designed by noted Chicago architect W. W. Boyington for Edward and Camilla Hegeler, the 57-room Mansion is located on three acres of grounds. Occupied by Hegeler descendants from its construction in 1876 until 2004, the Mansion exhibits an exceptional degree of interior and exterior integrity. Original wall finishes, stenciling, fixtures and furnishings are intact. The ground floor featured the office spaces, presses, and typeset of the nationally renowned Open Court Publishing Company, which was established by Hegeler and continued by his son-in-law Paul Carus. The company was based in the house from 1887 to 1936.
Survey number: HABS IL-1228
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 95000989