Homewood, North Charles & Thirty-fourth Streets, Baltimore, Independent City, MD
- Upscale 2x5552x7680
Significance: Built between 1801 and 1803, Homewood is significant historically for its association with the prominent Carroll family of Maryland and architecturally as one of the most refined and well-articulated country houses of the Federal period. The property was purchased in 1800 by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737-1832), a wealthy planter and politician and the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence. Carroll gave the property to his son Charles Carroll, Jr. (1775-1832) upon his marriage to Harriet Chew of the well-known Philadelphia family. For the design of Homewood, it is believed that Carroll acted as his own "gentleman architect" relying on pattern books of the period. Homewood is a five-part Palladian plan house of the late Georgian period and thus embraces elements of Federal or Adamesque design to include delicately refined details such as the three-part windows, elaborate doorway entablature and exquisite interior plasterwork. In 1902 Homewood was acquired by Johns Hopkins University and now serves as a house museum and showpiece of its college campus.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N995
Survey number: HABS MD-35
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71001033