Hubbell Trading Post, Navajo Day School, Ganado, Apache County, AZ
Significance: The Navajo tribe constructed the Navajo Day School in the 1930's on land donated by John L. Hubbell for a school site near his trading post. The two original entryways to the two-classroom schoolhouse are on the north elevation. The Navajo tribe subsequently used the building as the Ganado Chapter House in the 1950's. The emblem still exists on the parapet of the south elevation. The building was later used as tribal offices. A new doorway on the south elevation replaces an original window, and two windows have been blocked in. Now part of the Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, the building is used by the National Park Service as a visitor contact station and offices.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-33
Survey number: HABS AZ-137-E
Building/structure dates: after 1930 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000167