Idaho World Building, Main & Commercial Streets, Idaho City, Boise County, ID
Significance: Built of local half-baked brick, the building is one of a half dozen early "bricks" that still stand in Idaho City. "The Idaho World" published here for three decades in the 19th century. / Founded as the "Boise News" in September of 1863, the "Idaho World" published its first edition on October 20, 1864. The first newspaper in the Idaho Territory, the "Idaho World" was housed in no less than five locations when, in 1886, the office moved to its longest place of residence on the northeast corner of Main and Commercial. The "Idaho World" was a fiercely Democratic paper. C.E. Jones as publisher and editor in may, 1886 when it moved into this "Brick," circa 1867. The "Idaho World" building had been a tin shop and a warehouse. It was owned by a Chinaman just before the Joneses bought it, and was known as the "Man Wo Corner." The "Idaho World" ceased publishing in 1918. The building housed a bar called "The Lounge" in the 1950's. The present "Idaho World," reactivated about ten years ago, now publishes out of a converted blacksmith shop one block south.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-8
Survey number: HABS ID-9
Building/structure dates: ca. 1867 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1920 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work