Inge-Stoneham House, Chappell Hill, Washington County, TX
Significance: The Inge-Stoneham House is a one-story Greek Revival temple form structure which resembles many modest plantation homes of its period in the deep south. It was probably built in several stages beginning in the mid-1850's by Dr. Richard J. Inge, and its longest term of occupancy was by George Crowder Stoneham. Richard J. Inge, a physician and native of North Carolina, came to Texas in the early 1850's and settled in the Whitehall vicinity of Grimes County. The land upon which the Inge-Stoneham House stood until its removal in 1978 was part of an original grant of land to one of Stephen F. Austin's first colonists, John J. Whitesides. In this original location, the house commanded an impressive view of the surrounding countryside and was a tribute to the occupations of its several owners and inhabitants. George Crowder Stoneham, a prominent farmer and founder of the town of Stoneham, Texas, occupied the house for at least 40 years beginning in 1887. The house was a Stoneham family holding until 1978 when it was sold to Raymond Winkelman of Chappell Hill, Texas, who moved the house to its present location just north of that town.
Survey number: HABS TX-342