Jackson Barracks, Officers Quarters, 6400 Saint Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, LA
2009 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Building No. 7 is the most northwest of the Officers' Quarters which flank the parade ground. It is gable ended with a two story Doric colonnade, and features a second story gallery across the front. Historically, the upper floor was used for living space and the ground floor was used as a kitchen and dining area. Since the rear walls of the Officers' Quarters were incorporated into the Enceinte,the first floors were reported as, "deficient in ventilation, and generally dark." Ventilation and lighting was improved by the addition of windows during the WPA era, and the interior was significantly remodeled during the 1970s.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1397
Survey number: HABS LA-1367-A
Building/structure dates: 1835 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 76000969