Jacob Tome Institute, Memorial Hall, Tome Road, Port Deposit, Cecil County, MD
Last 10 b/w photos are photogrammetric images.
Significance: Memorial Hall, the main structure of the Tome School for Boys, is a notable example of the Beaux-Arts or American Renaissance style effectively used in an institutional setting. The Tome School, now a National Register of Historic Places historic district, is located on a bluff overlooking the small town of Port Deposit, Maryland, and the Susquehanna River. The architects of the fine Georgian Revival-style building, William Alciphron Boring and Edward L. Tilton of Boring and Tilton, were in the forefront of the American Beaux-Arts movement. For more than eight decades, Memorial Hall and the Tome School played an important role in private school, naval and vocational education, first as a prominent boys' boarding school, then as the U.S. Naval Academy Preparatory School, and finally as part of a regional residential training center for the Job Corps, a program of the U.S. Department of Labor. The master plan of the original campus, with its formal "Italian Gardens" focusing on Memorial Hall, is a distinguished example of Beaux-Arts campus design by the nationally noted landscape architect Charles Wellford Leavitt, Jr.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N698
Survey number: HABS MD-1110-A
Building/structure dates: 1900-1902 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 84001760