Jacob Wohlfarth Store & Residence, 823 West Laurel, San Antonio, Bexar County, TX
Written history of site included in field notes
Significance: The Jacob Wohlfarth Store and Residence was built circa 1890 on land below the San Pedro Springs Reserve just west of San Pedro Creek. The land was purchased by Peter Jonas, a prominent local politician and saloon keeper, in 1876, and was sold by Jonas to Jacob Wohlfarth in 1884. Wohlfarth, a former Menger Hotel chef, established a general merchandise business and campyard here at what later became known as "five points." The building was also home to Wolhfarth and his family. Wohlfarth operated his store until 1913, and lived on the property until 1923. Other early tenants of the building included the Five Points Drug Store, the Five Point Lunchroom, Piggly Wiggly #18, and Schlussler's Cafe...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N452
Survey number: HABS TX-3374
Building/structure dates: ca. 1890 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1925 Subsequent Work