James E. D. Lanier House, 511 West First Street, Madison, Jefferson County, IN
Significance: Designed by locally prominent Madison architect Francis Costigan (1810-1865) and built in 1843-44. The fine proportions and elegant presence of this classical brick structure are emphasized by the spacious site overloooking the Ohio River and Kentucky hills upon which the structure stands. The Lanier house was one of Indiana's finest in the 1840s, it was declared a State Memorial in 1926, and remains an important landmark in Madison to the present day. The residence was commissioned by James F.D. Lanier, a prominent Indiana and New York banker.
Survey number: HABS IN-23
Building/structure dates: ca. 1843- ca. 1844 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1870 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1926 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 94001191