James Lick Mill, Montague Road, Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, CA
Significance: The construction of the Lick Mill complex began ca. 1855 with a flour mill, and has continued intermittently to the present day, reflecting the changing use of the site and the evolution of more sophisticated technologies. The round brick granary, the mill's oldest extant building, and the large Italianate frame residence, erected ca. 1860, date from James Lick's ownership. As a prosperous and well-known Bay area businessman, involved in a wide array of financial and real estate investments throughout the San Francisco and San Jose area, Lick was able to improve significantly the mill's physical facilities and consequently its productivity. The site was used as a paper mill during the late 19th century, and has been an alcohol-producing chemical plant since the turn of the century. This building is important historically for its association with James Lick, one of California's most important early citizens. It is important commercially as the site of a major flour mill, then chemical works. Finally, it is important architecturally because it contains several major early buildings, notably the fine Italianate main house and the extraordinary round brick granary, as well as a large collection of other structures from various dates, of some architectural interest and together forming a very interesting and varied complex.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-109
Survey number: HABS CA-2011
Building/structure dates: ca. 1855 Initial Construction