James River & Kanawha Canal, Ben Salem Lock, Maury River, Lexington, Lexington, VA
Significance: Located on the western bank of the Maury River (formerly the North River) approximately 1 mile downstream from its junction with the South River, the Ben Salem Lock is constructed out of rough and smooth cut granite laid up in a running bond. According to Dr. William Trout, III, the Ben Salem Lock was part of a canal system designed to link Lexington, Virginia, with the James River. Construction of this system began following the organization of the North River Navigation Company in 1841 and continued until 1858 when the still unfinished works were bought by the James River and Kanawha Company. Following this transaction, work on the canal was reinstituted and, by 1862, the route was navigable and complete. Dr. Trout states that the Ben Salem Lock was built circa 1859.
Survey number: HAER VA-21
Building/structure dates: 1859 Initial Construction