John Sheldon House, Memorial Hall Museum, Deerfield, Franklin County, MA
Fragments of original house, demolished in 1848
Significance: The "Old Indian House" was built in Deerfield about 1698 for Capt. John Sheldon. It survived the massacre of 1704, when about half of the village was burned, and remained intact except for deterioration until 1848, when it was demolished. Several fragments are now preserved in Memorial Hall in Deerfield.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-183
Survey number: HABS MA-649
Building/structure dates: 1698 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1848 Demolished