Judge Watson House, 713 Park Street, Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA
Significance: In 1861 Judge Egbert R. Watson who read law under James Monroe's son-in-law Judge Hay and was a personal friend of the former president purchased 2 3/10 acres from Richard K. Mead. The lot was off the southern side of his Meadlands estate. 1862 tax records show an assessment of $500.00 for improvements on Watson's property. In that same year an addition was constructed on the west side of the house. Judge Watson resided here until his death in 1887. During the Civil War a northern colonel and his orderly resided in Watson's house. Judge Watson's heirs conveyed the property to George Rives in 1887. Upon George Rives' death in 1903, the house passed to his widow Sallie. It became the Episcopal Rectory in 1919. In 1971 the Trustees of Christ Episcopal Church sold the house to the present owners, Mr. and Mrs. William Isaccs.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-267
Survey number: HABS VA-1076