Kalbach & Son Building, South "B" Street & First Avenue West, Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA
Significance: Kalbach Lumber Company is significant to the history of Oskaloosa's growth and development as the first lumber company in Oskaloosa. The original office on the corner of Second Avenue West and south "B" Street is believed to be the only remaining commercial building of frame construction from the early settlement period in Oskaloosa. The building, on the corner of First Avenue West and South "B" Street, which was constructed in 1902, also possesses some architectural significance with its long rectangular design and clerestory windows in the two-story lumber shed. The Kalbach Lumber Company was included in an Iowa Site Inventory and was indicated as a key structure, possibly eligible for the National Register by the State Historic Preservation Officer.
Survey number: HABS IA-186
Building/structure dates: 1902 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1984 Demolished