Ladd Field, Kodiak T-Hangar, Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK
Significance: Architectural: This arctic design was constructed to minimize open and wasted space. The T-shape was designed to repair or store one large aircraft with the bottom of the T for the fusillage and the top of the T for the wings and nose. Historical: The T-hangar was developed especially for World War II. The name "Kodiak" T-hangar derives from the site of its 1st construction. Building 1542 is one of the last surviving examples. / The Kodiak T-Hangar was built in 1943. It has evolved through several major alterations, although basic elements have remained intact. Alterations include 11 sliding hangar doors that were added to the west side of the hangar (date unknown). Several small windows and 2 doors have been added also. The hangar was built on a concrete foundation. The outside walls are covered with 4" wide wood siding with paint peeling off. Several windows are broken and boarded up.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N55
Survey number: HABS AK-36-C
Building/structure dates: 1943 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 85002730