Laguna Seca Rancho, North side of U.S. Highway 101, Coyote, Santa Clara County, CA
Significance: The Laguna Seca Rancho was first held by Juan Alvirez, whose ranching operations included running a grist mill. The property was extensively developed by the family of William Fisher, who acquired the 23,040 acres in 1845. Captain John Charles Fremont and his troops camped on the ranch in the spring of 1846. The stone building, originally the grist mill, is certainly one of the oldest structures in Santa Clara County, and the barn, which is a form which predominates in the County, having a high gable-roofed center flanked by shed-roofed side aisles, may date from the mid-nineteenth century. The office building was constructed for William Fisher's youngest son, Fiacro, who continued to develop the land as one of the most successful stock and grain producing ranches in the area.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-99, FN-100,FN-101
Survey number: HABS CA-2003
Building/structure dates: ca. 1823- ca. 1845 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1850 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1860- ca. 1879 Subsequent Work