Latham House, 1200 North Quaker Lane, Alexandria, Independent City, VA
- Upscale 2x6238x7680
Significance: While lacking in historical or architectural significance, Latham House is early to mid-19th century vernacular architecture in the original section and late 19th century vernacular architecture in the second section, the frontispiece. / In 1839, Episcopal High School was founded on an 80-acre tract of land just west of the colonial port of Alexandria, Va. School doors opened with 35 boys under the leadership of The Rev. William N. Pendleton and three assistant heads. As the first high school in Virginia, Episcopal became known throughout the South as "The High School," a name by which it is still known today. Latham House is located north of the administrative building, Hoxton Hall, and its attached academic building. While lacking in historical or architectural significance, Latham House does reflect early to mid-19th century vernacular architecture, with a late 19th century frontispiece.
Survey number: HABS VA-1368
Building/structure dates: 1947-1948 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1857-1894 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000928