Levi Starbuck House, 14 Orange Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: One of Nantucket's most beautiful Greek Revival houses, it is one of the first to reveal the island's interest in the revival of classical design. It appears that in 1838 William M. Andrews, housewright, purchased the land and built the house, probably on order of Levi Starbuck. When the job was completed, he deeded the house and land to Starbuck, as was the custom at that time. An artisan by the name of John Coleman may have had some part in it as many features of the house attest to skills such as his. In 1874 heirs of Starbuck sold the house to James Codd, master mariner. Codd could well afford residential luxury. In only two voyages he brought home nearly 10,000 barrels of oil and 35,000 pounds of whale bone. One of the most elaborate plaster cornices to be found in Nantucket is in the double parlor on the Orange Street side of the house. Originally the entry porch had four Ionic columns instead of two, as well as steps facing Orange Street. Stored in the house are the extra two columns. Recent restoration work has uncovered the painted decoration on the walls of the double parlor. See Orange & Union Streets Neighborhood Study (HABS MA-1014).
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-205
Survey number: HABS MA-912
Building/structure dates: ca. 1837 Initial Construction