Lilly's Auto Camp, 8877 Monterey Highway, Gilroy, Santa Clara County, CA
Structure associated with motor touring.
Significance: Forerunner of the modern motel, the "cabin camp" first appeared in California in the mid-1920s. This one located on what was then the main automobile route between San Francisco and Los Angeles was operated by Allen and Alice Lilly from about 1927 until 1932. Each of fifteen cabins was sparsely furnished with a double bed, table, one or two chairs, metered gas stove, and small toilet. Showers were located in a small building to the north. A separate building to the north now substantially altered served as a combination office, grocery store, restaurant, and filling station.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-105
Survey number: HABS CA-2094
Building/structure dates: ca. 1927 Initial Construction