Louisville Water Company Pumping Stations, Zorn Avenue & River Road, Louisville, Jefferson County, KY
Significance: Theodore R. Scowden, chief engineer for the Louisville Water Company, designed Pumping Station No. 1 in the Classical Revival style in 1856. The complex included an engine room and boiler house in the form of a two-story temple, three bays wide, with a tetrastyle portico and twin one-story wings. The windows, sills, and column bases are of cast iron; the capitals of terra cotta. A 169' high standpipe tower with a Corinthian peristyle around the base and statues atop the columns was designed in imitation of a triumphal Roman Doric column. The tower was constructed of brick to the top of the colonnade, and of riveted plates of steel and sheet metal above this point.
Survey number: HAER KY-9
Building/structure dates: 1865- 1919 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1961 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71000348