Lowell City Hall, 407 Merrimack Street, Lowell, Middlesex County, MA
Significance: The Lowell City Hall replaced Old City Hall (226 Merrimack Street) as the home of the city government, and in so doing, it symbolized Lowell's evolution from a mill town to a modern city. In contrast to the small and inauspicious first municipal building (1830; see Section III E) the architecture of which reveals the town government's subordination to the mill interests in Lowell that tended to view the town government as merely an extension of their corporate structure the size and elaborate architecture of the Lowell City Hall (1893) clearly indicate that Lowell had emerged as a diverse and mature industrial city by the end of the nineteenth century and that Lowell's government had broken free of mill control. The Lowell City Hall is one of the finest examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in the Lowell region.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-267
Survey number: HABS MA-1152
Building/structure dates: 1893 Initial Construction