Lyndon B. Johnson Ranch, House, Park Road 49, Stonewall, Gillespie County, TX
Significance: Located on the Pedernales River near Stonewall, the LBJ Ranch House is perhaps the most significant structure at the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park. In 1951, Senator and Mrs. Johnson purchased the ranch house and surrounding acreage. It functioned throughout their ownership as a working ranch and, during the presidential years as the "Texas White House." Previous to the Johnson's occupancy, the ranch had many owners. Between 1840 and 1882, no fewer than five persons owned the ranch land. In 1882, William and Anna Meier bought the land and built a one-room log cabin on it. The Meiers lived in the modest structure until 1894-95 when they erected a two-room, two-story stone house. In 1906, the Meiers sold the house and land to Charles Wagner, Jr. Wagner in turn sold the house and 350-acre tract to James G. Odiorne. Odiorne then sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Martin on June 22, 1909. Mrs. Martin was LBJ's aunt (his father's sister). The Martins lived in the house for 42 years until they sold it to Senator Johnson. The ranch house, in addition to having direct association with LBJ during the presidential years, is associated with his senatorial, vice-presidential, and retirement years. During his occupancy, from 1951 until his death in 1973, LBJ used the ranch house in a variety of ways. It served as his home, a vacation retreat, a place to entertain guests, and the Texas White House during his presidency.
Survey number: HABS TX-3328-A