Magna Carta deposited in Congressional Library for duration of war. Washington, D.C., Nov. 28. The most cherished existing copy of the Magna Carta was today deposited in the Congressional Library here for the duration of the war by British Ambassador Lord Lothian. Librarian Archibald MacLeish, left, is shown thanking Lord Lothian after accepting the document which can be seen in the background. The Magna Carta will be on display for the public in a spot opposite the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution
The Library of Congress Building or the Jefferson Building is the oldest of the four United States Library of Congress buildings, built between 1890 and 1897 in Washington, DC. It is located on First Street SE, between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street. The new building was needed because of the Copyright Law of 1870, which required all copyright applicants to send to the Library two copies of their work. This resulted in a flood of books, pamphlets, maps, music, prints, and photographs. After Congress approved construction of the building in 1886, it took eleven years to complete. The building's main architect was Paul J. Pelz, born in Prussian Silesia, initially in partnership with John L. Smithmeyer, a native of Vienna, Austria, and succeeded by Edward Pearce Casey during the last few years of construction. More than fifty American painters and sculptors produced commissioned works of art. The building opened to the public on November 1, 1897, met with wide approval and was immediately seen as a national monument. The building name was changed on June 13, 1980 to honor former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson.