Magruder House, 4703 Annapolis Road (Bladensburg Road), Bladensburg, Prince George's County, MD
Significance: The Hilleary-Magruder House is the only extant stone house executed in the Tidewater style in Prince George's County. A mid-18th century, one-and-a-half story, stone gambrel-roof structure, it reflects residential forms of the early settlement period in the country. It was most likely one of the earliest extant residences of substantial construction in Prince George's, as opposed to the less durable wood-frame structures typical of periods of early settlement. It appeared in Bladensburg at about the same time that the town was established by the General Assembly of Maryland in an effort to encourage trade and commerce. It is also significant as one of only four structures existing from pre-Revolutionary War Bladensburg (the other three are Bostwick-HABS No. MD-616, the Market Master's house and Washington Tavern). Historically, the house is connected with prominent Prince George's personages. It was also reportedly visited by George Washington (1787), and British troops during the battle of Bladensburg.
Survey number: HABS MD-616
Building/structure dates: 1743-1746 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1981-1982 Subsequent Work