Mariah Wright House, Bocock & Back Lanes, Appomattox, Appomattox County, VA
Significance: The Mariah Wright House stands about 1/4 mile south-east of the Village Green. Historical research dates its erection ca. 1823. Alterations and additions were made ca. 1890; mainly the 24 ft. addition to the east, the porch & dormer to the west, the cornice, the fenestration & door locations plus interior trim throughout the house. The weatherboarding is ca. 1890 except for a small portion in the gable ends and on the north-east side where the original cornice is intact. The original weatherboarding is beaded poplar while the newer is yellow pine unbeaded. The original frame is oak. 1st Fl. ceiling beams are poplar. Cornice and frames for doors & windows are yellow pine as well as roof boards & floor boards & shingles. All interior wood lath & plaster removed during 1942 stabilization.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-292
Survey number: HABS VA-947
Building/structure dates: ca. 1823 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1890 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1942 Subsequent Work