Marjory Stoneman Douglas House, 3744 Stewart Avenue, Miami, Miami-Dade County, FL
Significance: The Marjory Stoneman Douglas House is located in Coconut Grove, Florida, and currently managed by the Land Trust of Dade County. Marjory Stoneman Douglas is a nationally recognized author and conservationist best known for her role in promoting protection of the Everglades. The M.S.D. House was built between 1924 and the fall of 1926 on a site called "The Patch," one of four lots originally owned by Henry Schulz. The M.S.D. site was sold to M.S.D. in 1924. Arriving in 1915 Marjory has been the sole owner and primary resident in the house for the past 68 years. After the Great Depression of 1926, Marjory offered Marion Manley, (Miami's first woman architect) a room in the house until she regained her business. The one story stucco over wood frame house is eclectic in design having elements which are both Tudor Revival and Medieval Revival stylistically, both styles popular in the Midwest at the turn of the century. The original floor plan of the house did not include a west face addition currently off the kitchen/bedroom area. George Hyde, a well known architect of factories was contracted by Marjory to draw the plans. The first contractor for the house defaulted with most of the money. The second contractor was Willard Hubbell, son of Henry Salem Hubbell. The house is noteworthy for its hip roof, half-timbering, post-hurricane wood floors, elegant detailing, and cast bronze hardware.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N182
Survey number: HABS FL-381
Building/structure dates: 1926 Initial Construction