Martin F. Hanley House, 7600 Westmoreland Drive, Clayton, St. Louis County, MO
Significance: The oldest building in the County Seat of St. Louis County. Built in 1855 on what was then a 112 acre farm, the house has survived without major changes as a new city of 15,000 population has grown up around it. Mr. & Mrs. Hanley gave a four acre strip of land to help establish the village of Clayton when it was founded in 1878. Hanley Road, now a major street, was originally laid out as the access lane bordering the farm on the west. Although houses of this general type were once prevalent in the St. Louis area, the Hanley house is unusual in having survived without major change and with its two-storied wood gallery extending full length along the west (rear) elevation and with the separate brick one-story wing related to it.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-139
Survey number: HABS MO-1193