Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, Smith-Charleston House, 509 Auburn Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Significance: The Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site is located in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta - the Upper Auburn Avenue area. Originally called Wheat Street in honor of one of Atlanta's pre-Civil War merchants. The name was changed in 1893 to the more stylish Auburn Avenue. As early as the 1880's Auburn Avenue became the center of Atlanta's black business and professional community. The interrelationship of residential, commercial, and religious architecture together with the strong black cultural history is representative of the life and work of Dr. King to the extent that the area was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and a unit of the National Park Service in 1980. The Smith-Charleston home, a four-unit, frame apartment building was built ca. 1925-1930 on the site of an earlier house, occupied by Annie Smith. The apartment building has been occupied by tenants of only 5 or 10 years duration except for William Thelma Charleston, who lived there from 1940 to 1980...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-79
Survey number: HABS GA-2169-D
Building/structure dates: ca. 1930 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000677